Development of all the seven sheaths or layers completely, is necessary for a person to complete his or her spiritual evolution to unite with the Divine.
5 Koshas or 7 sheaths of the soul in the Human Being
- Annamay Kosh or Food Sheath (Outermost of the Pancha koshas)
- Pranmay Kosh or Vital Air Sheath or the Life force
- Manomay Kosh or Mind as distinctly different from intelligence Sheath
- Vigyanmay Kosh or Intellect Sheath
- Aanandmay Kosh or Bliss Sheath (ceaseless joy not connected with body or mind and the innermost of the Pancha koshas
- Chitta Kosh or spiritual wisdom
- Sat Kosh or the Final state of merging with the Infinite
Annamay Kosh or Food Sheath
This layer has gross and gentle vibrations. It cannot exist without the contact with other "Koshas" or "Layers".
Ancient Hindu wisdom proved that man's personality and destiny are determined by his subtle bodies, which he carries from previous births.
Liberating the soul from the identification and attachment with the "Food sheath" or "Annamaya Kosh" or "Physical body" is the first objective of a Yogi or a person who travels in the Spiritual path.
Pranmay Kosh or Vital Air Sheath
Life continues as long as this vital force exists in the organs.
Of these 72,000 nadis, 3 are very important. They are - Ida, Pingala and Susumna. "Kundalini energy" passes through the "Susumna" nadi.
These "Nadis" are interconnected to each other and mainly connected to the "7 Human chakras" or the "Energy centers".
This layer is very similar to that of the "Physical layer" but subtle.
Manomay Kosh or Mind Sheath
Man's attachment is because of mind and detachment or freedom is also because of the same.
Vigyanmay Kosh or Intellect Sheath
Anandmay Kosh or Bliss Sheath
Sat means "Belief in the eternal truth".
Chit means "Interacting in various situations in an appropriate way, by being alive and conscious".
Anand means the state of bliss, which does not need any external stimulus for the joy.
- The ultimate goal of the human life is to move from the Annamay Kosh, most of the times remain in the Vigyanamay Kosh and gradually move into the Anandamay Kosh, a state of Blissful being, Chitta Kosha (spiritual wisdom) and Sat Kosha (the final state of merging with the Infinite).
- It means to be soul centered rather than being in body centered or mind centered.
Example to illustrate the functionality of the 5 koshas
The involuntary movement of the tongue: Part of "Annamay Kosh".
The movement of the tongue is powered by the life force: Part of "Pranmay Kosh".
A wish for the movement of the tongue: Part of "Manomay Kosh".
The doer or karta of this act: Part of "Vigyanmay Kosh".
The name of God, uttered with deep love, respect and dedication and experience a joy of happiness: Part of "Anandamay Kosh".
Overview of the Koshas
Thoughts and feelings, Psychic body
Spiritual differentiation, wisdom and Intellectual body
Pure consciousness and body of joy
Body of consciousness
Body of pure spirit
Eat, drink and enjoy
Energy seeker, Conscious about Health
Philosopher, Social consciousness
Sages and scientists
Examples: Siddharudh swami, Raman Maharshi
Purity beyond human perception, visualization
Parties, Movies etc
Sports, Yoga, Exercises for the purpose of health
Help others, participate in the social activities, not parties
Being in blissful state within body awareness.
Photo credit: h.koppdelaney / Foter / CC BY-ND
Photo credit: NYCTCM / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA